NDIS Specialist Disability Accommodation - Maple Services

NDIS Specialist Disability Accommodation

Supported Independent Living

NDIS Specialist Disability Accommodation

Maple’s Specialist Disability Accommodation refers to our housing solution for patients with disabilities who require specialised support professionals to help them on a regular basis with daily activities. These specialists are trained to work with individuals with specific dysfunction in order to help them live as independently as possible and develop skills they need. Their support can include help with personal care and hygiene, mobility, eating and drinking, and much more.

Whether you or your loved one experiences a disability, we have Specialist Disability Accommodation available with the help of funding from the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) to ensure you can live your life to the fullest. With Maple, a better, more inclusive future lies ahead!

What is NDIS Specialist Disability Accommodation?


Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) is a type of housing option for NDIS participants who have high-level functional impairment or very high support needs. SDA includes support services to help residents live more independently and with increased access to the assistance they need to achieve their therapeutic and functional goals.


SDA is one of many support options available from Maple Community Services through partnerships and, if an NDIS participant is eligible, can be covered by a specialised category of funding for SDA.


Maple provides supported living options and services throughout numerous suburbs in Sydney. In Western Sydney, we offer support in locations including Blacktown, Blue Mountains, Camden, Central Coast, Campbelltown, Canterbury-Bankstown, Cumberland, Fairfield, Hawkesbury, Hills Shire, Liverpool, Parramatta, Penrith, and Wollondilly. Furthermore, our outreach extends to communities in Bayside, Burwood, Canada Bay, Georges River, Hornsby, Hunter’s Hill, Inner West, Ku-ring-gai, Lane Cove, Liverpool, Mosman, Newcastle, North Sydney, Northern Beaches, Randwick, Strathfield, Sutherland, Sydney, Waverly, Woollahra.


What is the Difference Between SIL and SDA?

Supporting Independent Living (SIL) is the support, assistance, or supervision a person living with disabilities receives to build their skills for daily tasks, enabling them to live more independently.

On the other hand, Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) is for people living with a disability that causes high-level functional impairment or highly complex needs that require specialist housing alternatives. A person living in an SDA housing option can also have SIL services.

Why Choose Maple for NDIS Specialist Disability Accommodation?

Maple Community Services excels at providing SIL and SDA solutions for people with disabilities in our Specialised Accommodation. Our highly experienced team members can develop a plan with you to support all your needs under our core supports specialties and work with you to build personal skills to enable you to live as independently as possible.

Variety of Dwellings

From single occupied Granny Flats, to Apartments and Shared Homes; Maple Community Services has over 20 dwellings located within the greater Sydney Region. Catering for STA, MTA, SIL, and SDA, serve individuals of all situations, requirements and needs.

Superior Service

Our SIL Management Team is active 24/7, always there to support our incredible SIL Community, Support Workers and House Managers no matter what the query, feedback, or issue is. We are renowned for our extremely fast turnaround and approval times for Referrals. Please reach out to us for help with your SIL, Core Support, Plan Management, and Support Coordination Referral. We are trained to provide the best Customer Service in the industry, and that’s why people choose us!

We are Family

Maple Community Services places a major emphasis on educating our team on the importance of community and family values. When you join Maple as part of our SIL Community; you are joining a family of individuals who care about you, are there for you, and are there to assist you with your needs.

How Do I Get Specialist Disability Accommodation Funding?

During your planning meeting, you need to explain to your planner why SDA is reasonable and necessary to your or your loved one's individual situation. Feel free to reach out to our support team at Maple for any advice and questions you may have surrounding the process.

How do I know Where Specialist Disability Accommodation Vacancies Are?

Find out what vacancies we have in our accommodation options that are suitable for you by getting in touch with us online, by phone, or in person. We’d love to sit down with you and outline a plan to achieve your goals.

How to Apply for Supported Independent Living?

Once you have the required reports from the OT and GP or Psychologist, you can get in touch with Maple over the phone or in person so we can assess your suitability and develop a plan for your SDA. Once we have a tentative offer of housing, the Support Coordination Housing Solutions Report is prepared and all the documentation and supporting evidence is sent to the NDIS. Maple will also submit an SDA quote and a Roster of Care to the NDIS.

It is then up to the SDA team to assess all evidence and determine whether you are a suitable candidate for the SDA funding; this can take between a few weeks and several months to process.

Who is Eligible for Specialist Disability Accommodation?

There are many factors that the NDIS considers before deciding on your available funding for SDA. The support service needs to be reasonable and necessary to help you achieve your goals, purpose, and aspirations.

The funding of SDA assistance is for participants who have high-level functional impairments or high support needs. You can be eligible if, upon assessment, it is deemed the most appropriate level of support among the available options. Arrange a planning meeting with us and we can talk through what supports you need in and around the home and determine whether this is a support you will benefit from.

Does NDIS pay for NDIS Specialist Disability Accommodation?

Yes and no. If you qualify for SDA funding, it funds a certain amount towards a brick and mortar home for you to live in. Depending on your needs, there are four types of homes available with SDA funding known as Design Categories:

  • Improved Livability – a home with a ‘reasonable’ level of physical access for people with sensory, intellectual, or cognitive impairment.
  • Fully Accessible – a home with a high level of physical access for people living with physical impairment. This includes wheelchair accessibility in the bathroom, kitchen, and external areas.
  • High Physical Support – a home with a very high level of specialised design and physical access, such as ceiling hoists, assistive and communication technologies, and emergency power solutions.
  • High Physical Support – a home with a very high level of specialised design and physical access, such as ceiling hoists, assistive and communication technologies, and emergency power solutions.
  • Robust – a home that needs good physical access, as well as extra safety features like retreat areas for participants and staff, and impact resistant materials.

The SDA application process will determine which category of home is right for you based on your support needs and treatment goals. Once the category is determined, Maple Community Services can help you source a place that meets your needs.

Specialist Disability Accommodation Application Process

The NDIS relies on evidence and advice from Allied Health Professionals to determine if a participant is eligible for SIL or SDA (Specialist Disability Accommodation) funding. The areas that health professionals must address are the following:

  • The significant impact of the participant’s disability on their mobility, self care, and cognition.
  • The type of housing that would be appropriate for the participant
  • The other types of supports required for the participant to achieve their housing goals

Your first step in applying for SDA funding is to get a Housing Assessment Report from your Occupational Therapist, which allows for up to 20 hours of funding within your NDIS Plan from the Improved Daily Living category. The report should address why there is no other access to suitable housing options or why your situation may have changed; an example of a situational change may be aging parents who are no longer able to support the participant.

A psychology or GP report is also useful during the application process to indicate why the participant is a suitable candidate for SDA, and your Maple Support Coordinator will need to submit a detailed housing solutions report with a summary of relevant information, as well as outlining a transition plan for the move.

The Process


Submit an enquiry and one of our friendly SIL Team Members will call to chat through how Maple can assist you with your Accommodation needs.


We are all about building strong relationships. Hence Maple will work with you to gather as much information as we can to make your transition to your new place as seamless as possible


The Maple Team will assist you in creating a Budget for services required through SIL. Additionally, we will assist with the Submission and Approval Process.


Once your Budget has been approved by NDIA; you’re ready to move into your new dwelling, start receiving your services and achieving your goals

Contact our team to find out how we can help you

The Maple Commitment

Here at Maple, we are committed to achieving your goals! Providing Support is the backbone of our purpose, we listen and act in realtime, and we empower our community through equal opportunities. It is our focus on building relationships with each and every one of our individuals, that sets us apart from the rest.

Enquire Today

Whether its a query about the services we provide, or just a general enquiry, we would love to hear from you!